Finished at 50? - Don't Take it Laying Down...
By Martin Ellis
TRANSFORM YOUR LINKEDIN RESULTS
Start using our proven LinkedIn tactics today
Finished at 50? I think not!
But if you are over 50, some of you do need to go about your job hunting with a new approach.
Here is a tip for each of your well-lived decades:
1. Sort out your CV/resume.
- Remove your date of birth
- Don't date your jobs before, say 1995. Nobody really cares what you did then anyway.
- List your achievements in this century only
- Disguise your age, but don't lie
- Re-write your CV. It could probably do with a re-write anyway (most could to be fair)
- Don't mention the Bee Gees as your favourite band
2. Sort out your LinkedIn profile
- Do the same with your LinkedIn profile as with your CV/resume
- Get a professional photo - not something scabby from 1990 - your haircut will give you away!
- Don't admit you belong to the Barry Manilow Appreciation Society
3. If you don't have a LinkedIn profile, get one pronto!
- Just do it. You look irrelevant, or at least dated, without one. At least APPEAR connected.
- Don't bother to start Twittering. You'll start to dance like your dad next.
4. Be careful what you say.
- Don't fret about your age to recruiters or potential employers - you appear intimidated
- Don't ask if your age is a disadvantage - Don't even think it - it's a mindset thing
- Get a Skype account and list the address on your CV - you look connected - and don't say "I've never used it before"
5. Look the part!
- Get a decent suit!
- Get your teeth sorted!
- Clip the hair sprouting from your nose and ears - and clip your eyebrows. Monobrows are so yesterday!
- Get a decent haircut. Spend more than £6.50/$9.50.
- Don't try too hard - but do try
50 is a state of mind. It's not easy if you're over 50, but right now it's damned difficult being 21 too - especially if you're Spanish!
Don't be something you're not, but make an effort. Sit up straight and have some energy and positivity. Age is largely a state of mind. Worry about it when you're 80.
If you're 50+ and I'm getting you riled, don't bother.
And if you're really stuck, here are a few ideas to revive your job search.....and if you're really, REALLY stuck, here are a few more.
(Image courtesy of http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/)
Back to Candidate blogs