How Current Is Your Resume Knowledge? Take This Test!
By Martin Buckland - Executive Career Management Professional
Resume trends come and go along with the preferences of hiring managers, HR professionals and recruiters. Here’s 24 questions to test your resume knowledge. Don’t cheat! Answer the TRUE or FALSE questions honestly and record your first response before checking against the answers at the bottom. Good luck!
- Although rare, the perfect resume does exist.
- The functional resume is the resume of choice in North America.
- A powerful resume should be no longer than 3 pages.
- It is important to have both a 2-page resume and a CV.
- You should never use the personal pronouns “I”, “me” or “my” in your resume.
- It is important to include hobbies and interests.
- It is important to include salary expectations and previous supervisors.
- It is incorrect to include your personal information in your resume (ie. marital status, age, height, weight).
- It is important to include “References Available Upon Request”.
- It is important to exclude your residential address.
- You should never include links to your social media profiles.
- The new HR employee is a robot.
- Applicant Tracking Systems are designed to accept all resumes.
- Fancy fonts and graphics will make your resume interesting.
- Shading, headers, footers, graphics, and text boxes could impede the scanning process.
- I need the right keywords in my resume to match the scanning process.
- I need one resume for ATS and one resume for the human eye.
- Action verbs are a critical element of your accomplishment and responsibility statements.
- A 20-second review of a resume should clearly determine your employment goal as well as your related hard and soft skills.
- A resume is your marketing document that will tell a prospective buyer if you are a viable candidate.
- Recruiters use resumes to exclude, not include, candidates.
- Recruiters don’t care about dates on my resume.
- Your resume will land you a job.
- My resume and my LinkedIn profile don’t have to match.
Answers: (1) F; (2) F; (3) T; (4) F; (5) T; (6) F; (7) F; (8) T; (9) F; (10) F; (11) F; (12) T; (13) F; (14) F; (15) T; (16) T; (17) F; (18) T; (19) T; (20) T; (21) T; (22) F; (23) F; (24) F
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Martin Buckland, President of Elite Resumes, is a leading resume writer, career coach and job search strategist with a global clientele. Martin currently holds the following certifications: Certified Professional Branding Strategist, Certified Professional Resume Writer, Certified Employment Interview Professional, Job and Career Transition Coach, Certified Job Search Trainer and Co-Pilot Executive Coach. Visit my website at http://aneliteresume.com/
Back to Candidate blogs
Social Hire - the Social Media Agency for recruiters and small businesses. With outstanding Social Media Agency reviews on Google and exceptional client retention rates, the team at Social Hire really do know what works (and just as importantly, what doesn’t work). Why not engage a Social Media Agency that not only gets results, but that does so for a third of the cost of employing an in-house Social Media Manager? Simply click "Book a Call" to speak to one of our friendly team.