Year in Review: Social Video Statistics Of 2018
By Laurie Wood
We are well into 2019 which means we can now reflect on the previous year's data and trends. I'm going to focus on video statistics, in particular, on social media platforms AKA social video. But before I dive in, I want to lay on the table the reasons why utilising online video is important.
- 78% of people watch online videos every week, and 55% view online videos every day (HubSpot).
- Viewers retain 95% of a message when they watch it in a video, compared to 10% when reading it in text (Insivia).
- 72% of customers would rather learn about a product or service by way of video (Hubspot).
As you can see, those are some pretty high percentages. Implementing online video in your digital strategy is a smart way of keeping your content of interest to your audience or customers. Now let's move onto social video. To put things into perspective, this is how many active users are on each of these popular social media platforms:
- Facebook now sees 8 billion average daily video views (TechCrunch).
- 85% of Facebook users now watch video with the sound off (SproutSocial).
- People are 1.5 times more likely to watch Facebook videos on a smartphone than on a desktop (Facebook). Keep in mind when uploading any video content that your priority should be how users experience it via mobile.
- Facebook video content earns the highest engagement rate (more so than photos), despite making up only 3% of content (Adweek).
- When video was launched on Instagram in 2013, 5 million videos were uploaded in the first 24 hours (Adweek).
- Instagram photos see more engagement than videos (SproutSocial).
- Instagram video sponsored ads receives 3x more engagement than photo sponsored ads (Adespresso).
- Articles which include video receive lower post views than articles without video (Okdork).
- 59% of senior executives said that if video and text were available on the same topic, they would prefer to watch the video (Kinsta).
- LinkedIn video posts are 5x more likely to receive comments (LinkedIn).
- LinkedIn allows you to upload up to 10 minutes of video content.
- 93% of video views are via mobile (Hootsuite).
- Tweets with video attract 10x more engagement than ones without (Twitter).
- Promoted tweets with video saved more than 50% on their cost-per-engagement (Twitter).
- Snapchat users watch 10 billion videos each day (Mashable).
- 3 billion Snaps (a mixture of photo and video) are uploaded everyday (Variety).
Want to know more on how you can utilise social media? Follow me here for daily updates: LauriewoodUK - SocialLite @PeopleScoutUK
Back to Small Business blogs
Social Hire - the Social Media Agency for recruiters and small businesses. With outstanding Social Media Agency reviews on Google and exceptional client retention rates, the team at Social Hire really do know what works (and just as importantly, what doesn’t work). Why not engage a Social Media Agency that not only gets results, but that does so for a third of the cost of employing an in-house Social Media Manager? Simply click "Book a Call" to speak to one of our friendly team.